Carrot and Cardamom Mash
Thanks to Annemarie from Ambrosia and Nectar for this recipe.
Danke an Annemarie Ambrosia and Nectar für dieses Rezept.
* 4 large carrots
* 2 medium potatoes
* 3 pods cardamom (green cardamom is preferable)
* 1/2 C milk
* 10g butter (approximately – use as much butter as you normally do for your mash)
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the carrots and potatoes, and roughly cut into pieces.
2. Boil the carrots and potatoes in water until they are both well softened.
3. Meanwhile, crush the cardamom pod and combine it with the milk in a small saucepan. Gently boil the milk for about 15 minutes, to allow the flavors to infuse.
4. Drain the carrots and potatoes, saving a ladel-full of the cooking liquid.
5. Strain the cardamom seeds from the milk.
6. Mash the carrots and potatoes together with the butter and the cardamom-flavored milk. If mash needs a bit more liquid, add some of the reserved cooking liquid.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.