A bunch of green Kale, roughly chopped
Several rashers of good quality, thinly sliced smoked bacon
1 medium white onion, diced
1 tbs olive oil
3/4 cup of Buffalo Parmesan, grated
5 large eggs
3/4 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup of whipping cream
1 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
1 sheet of pie dough
Special equipment: 9 inch baking tin & pastry brush
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Butter the pie tin and press the pie pastry along the base and up the sides. Brush the pastry with a little olive oil. Set aside.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat and saute the onions until they are slightly browned. Add the kale and fry for about 3 minutes or until it has wilted slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Fry the bacon strips until they a little crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. Next, spread the bacon, kale and onion over the base of the pie shell.
6. Beat the eggs and mix in the milk, cream, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Blend well and pour into pie shell.
7. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 450 degrees.
8. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the centre of the quiche is almost firm.
9. Remove the quiche from the oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.